- Your course is listed as having virtualized meetings. This is a course that has meetings that were intended to meet in person but, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, are virtualized instead.
- Teachers and students of courses with virtualized meetings will receive a webinar link via email to your CIIS account approximately 15 minutes before each class meeting. Your Liaison will join you at the beginning of the webinar to help with any troubleshooting. They will leave Online Learning’s chat support address (www.VCLhub.com) for you before exiting.
- No action is required on your part to receive a webinar link. It will be auto-scheduled by the Online Learning department for all virtualized meetings listed by the Registrar’s office.
- If you believe that your course is not virtualized (either because it is strictly an online course, it is meeting solely in person, or for some other reason), please let us know immediately.
- Recording of virtualized courses is not permitted, due to FERPA, HIPAA, and other regulations. It is possible to record a lecture-only portion of a virtual course meeting (parts of the meeting that do not include any student identity information – name, voice, video, etc.). This requires muting and turning off video for all students and starting and stopping recording during the lecture.
How can I prepare for my virtualized course?
- Please make sure you can access your CIIS email account directly. Do not have emails forwarded to a personal account. They have been marked as junk in the past and might not reach you in time.
- Please see the Tech Tips recorded training or the What to Expect PDF for instructions on stopping email forwarding, as well as other technical guidance and tests you can perform.
- Please check your CIIS email account ~15 minutes before each class meeting for the webinar link.
Logging in to Canvas
Single sign-on is now enabled for Canvas. This means you will log in with your university email address and email password (instead of your CIIS ID number and password).
To log in:
- Go to ciis.instructure.com (there should be no additional text in the URL after “.com”; if you had previously used a bookmark for Canvas, it may need to be updated).
- When prompted, use your CIIS email address and email password to log in.
- If you encounter any issues logging in to Canvas, please see our support article for more information.
Going forward, you will no longer need to use separate credentials for Canvas.
Creating your Canvas Course
- Please let us know if you need any assistance in creating your course in Canvas. You can email us the syllabus at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the semester and we will add it to the queue.
- Alternatively, if you wish to create it in Canvas yourself, the Create a Canvas Course training will provide an overview and demonstrate frequently-used features.
Post & Publish
- Per CIIS requirements, please post your syllabus and publish your course at least 2 weeks before the course begins. This helps students to prepare by accessing textbooks and understanding the expectations for your course.
- Please see the Post Your Syllabus article for instructions on posting your syllabus.
- For a demonstration of publishing, please see Chapter 5f of the Create a Canvas course training.